Professional pink

Monday, May 2, 2011

Day 8, First day of class, first FHE

Ever heard of the saying, "Be careful what you wish for"?  Believe it.  And the song/phrase, "Count Your Blessings"?  Do it.  How about the phrase, "The grass is always greener"?  Yeah, there's a reason why they exist.  Let's just say that I have wanted to come to Europe for so long that I imagined it to be some glorious cultural paradise that the truly blessed were able to visit.  Not so my friends.  Well, it's true that there's a lot of cultural sites and that really rich people or students with loans or scholarships or whatever it may be come here, but it's not so glorious.  The people here are normal human beings with a different culture, yes, but they are HUMAN and just happen to communicate in a different language than the one I grew up with.  And as dumb as I feel for "only" knowing two languages with a bit of a third, it's greatly reassuring to know that just like the people here are human like me, the Church is just as true here as it is back home or anywhere else in this vast universe.  We all have the same basic wants and desires and the gospel applies to all.  Go ahead and dream and make goals and plans, but remember to also enjoy where you're at while you're there because once a moment passes, the only way to have it back it to retrieve a memory.  Make wishes, but don't let them consume your reality.  Instead, also take time to enjoy the simple joys of life, because once you attain those dreams, then what do you do?  Make more, sure, but appreciate when they are fulfilled as well as when they aren't.

I didn't appreciate my home enough when I was there.

I didn't spend enough time with my parents, brothers, sisters, and extended family and I didn't listen well enough.

I took free public restrooms and drinking fountains for granted.

I didn't appreciate my own heritage as an American enough, thinking that we were less acculturated and educated.

Now, I see that I was blessed to have a home with a garden and fruit trees.

I savor talking to each of my siblings and my parents, as well as keeping in touch with friends.

I take special note of bathrooms and am less of a water snob.

I am proud of the technology that comes from my very own home country (and state) and I am grateful for the wonderful land of liberty known as the United States of America.

Oh, yeah, and I am grateful, too, for the Church being here as a support so I could go to a Young Single Adult (YSA) Family Home Evening (FHE) and make friends who are quick to laugh with me and help me.  I had my first day of class today, and I came home with a headache and was questioning my being here.  Do I even really want to be a polyglottal linguist?  FHE tonight turned it all around, and I am sincerely grateful.

Song of the Day: Instant de paix, moment si doux (Secret Prayer, which I know better as Secreta oración.  When we sang it at FHE tonight in French, I automatically thought of it in Spanish, which made me even sadder, but I knew that the song was a message to me.  Take solace in prayer.  The Church is true and I am NOT alone.  I came to see that was true as my mood turned around with the night's activities.)

And if you are wondering, yes, I still am a linguist.  I think it's just that Satan is trying to discourage me and distract me from my goals.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment