Professional pink

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 25, Oh, You Know, Just Life

Yeah, so I just went to class today and just had a workshop in the afternoon, after which I just had a sandwich for dinner and went to YSA Institute.  No biggie.  Ah, ah, ah, but wait--not only is every day unique and special, therefore deserving of a word more spectacular than "just" because "just" means "nothing much," but it's even more different because of where I am right now!  Hah, this reminds me of a conversation I had with Kenny Tuesday night when he suggested walking down the Champs-Elysees at night when it's lit up since he hadn't done it yet.

"Yeah, okay, 'cause that's not really something you get to do every day."

"Well, normally, no, but since we're here in Paris, we could if we wanted to."  Ah, touche!

So, I went to class today and it was more about justice and law, but it's about DSK who's imprisoned in my country and the lesson was given from a French point of view.  And apparently the Anglo-Saxon world prefers tabloid-like announcements more than the French, who prefer to "only" report "news".

And in the afternoon, I attended my last workshop of the week, but it took us over to Hotel de Ville, the Place des Vosges, and the apartment where Victor Hugo, his wife, and his mistress all lived.  The park in the courtyard is lovely!

As for "just" having a simple meal with one more sandwich, it was one made with French products, eaten in the little kitchen in my apartment that lies in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower.  Okay, so even that is pretty cool, right?

And institute?  Well, Marriage Prep is much like I'd expect it to be in the States, except in French and except that I can understand better now the concerns that the General Authorities have about young people not marrying or couples falling apart because I can see how drastically different the views of the LDS church are in comparison with society here.  I mean, for me, marriage and family are of the utmost importance, but to many of the people here, the difference between being married and not is a piece of paper.  I know it's that way in the States for many as well, and I wonder what motivates people in life?  I wonder what does keep motivating people to get married when society today allots them many of the same privileges either way.  Hmm.  Well, more power to those who support marriage, strong families, healthy & well-developed children, and fidelity!

In other news, here are some photos of cool stuff I saw.  I know my teachers have told me that the architecture is covered with intricate designs, but I had no clue until I came!  And I saw so many faces on the doors and ceiling at the Place des Vosges that it makes me think of the door knob and knocker that come to life as Marley and Marley in "A Muppet's Christmas Carol."

 Behold, the ceiling.  It gradually lowered, making the hallway shorter, like in "Alice in Wonderland."


 Yep, this is on a door.

I love finding symbolism in art, and I love that there are religious crosses over this doorway.  I wonder if anyone else took time to notice?

Proof I was there!  Notice the windows' glass and decor.

My favorite part of going to the Place des Vosges?  Watch, listen closely, and I'll tell you!
 
Next stop: Chez Victor Hugo!

 The Chinese room, specially designed by Victor Hugo for his mistress.  It turns out that his initials are hidden everywhere in the designs.  (Thank you museum keeper who volunteered the info!)

Before leaving, I had to go into the park that was the courtyard.  The streetlamp caught my eye! I love the lines and color here.

One more thing to love: music in the metro!

1 comment:

  1. oh schubert...ave maria is such a beautiful piece! i miss europe so much! eat it up for me, ariel! and please keep posting photos! =]

    ReplyDelete