Professional pink

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day 10, Paris a la polyglot

Aside from class and grocery shopping, I spent a good amount of time with a group of BYU study abroad students.  Yeah, I think I spoke more Spanish than French and more English than Spanish.  Diagram:


At school, today was a theatrical oral day, so we did a lot of games.  That is one thing this school really has going for them: using the target language and using games to put into action what we learn.  We played a couple of good games for teaching the relationship between the active and passive voice, one such being that two people discuss a "sculpture" comprised of the other classmates, with one using the active voice to focus on the sculptor and the other using the passive to discuss the sculptures.  The games and speaking combined with not having a 3-hour workshop made for a fun, short school day.

After coming back to my neighborhood and buying some groceries (I had some baguette with Gruyere and tomato with salt and pepper--YUM), I found Le Roi Soleil has songs in order with Spanish subtitles!  I WILL watch them.  :) 

Once I pulled myself away from the French/Spanish, I went over to the church building and ended up hanging out with some of the study abroad students, like I already mentioned.  We first went and bought falafel for dinner, which was a bit more difficult because there are two shops facing each other on this rue that seem to have a competition between the two for customers because they advertise their falafel for the same price!  One of the guys with us and I made a good choice in the one we went with because the shop owner gave us a discount!

We were going to go to the catacombs sometime, but apparently they close at 4pm, so we went to the Eiffel Tower instead.  Man, there's a garden area off one corner, and I wished I had a camera with me!  Tant pis.  At least it's not like I'll never see it again.

Once I came back to my flat, I ended up talking on Skype for two hours.  At first, it was just with Mom, but then my little sister came home from school, and then we added my best friend to the convo.  As she pointed out toward the end of the convo, technology makes for miraculous possibilities, because she is in Chile, I'm in France, and my mom and sis are in the Western US, so we each were in a different time zone, we made a giant equilateral triangle, and yet we were talking with such ease that it was almost like we were really much closer!

Oh, blessings.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment