Professional pink

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 56, Missing Church

As hard as Ashlee tried, we still ended up missing church, which really ate at Ashlee because, for one reason or another, she’s missed church for five or six weeks consecutively now. Last Sunday we left late and our trip into the city didn’t even leave us enough time to try finding the church in time for sacrament; this week, we left with plenty of time to make it at least to the 11:50 am ward, if not to the 10:30. Saturday night, Ashlee spent a good while trying to figure out the bus routes and the map with the church address to make sure we’d make it this time. Everything went well with the buses, but it turns out that the hard part was understanding the physical address for the church building itself. Ashlee asked one couple or individual after another, and we ended up following directions taking us farther and farther away from where we thought the church should be, only to find out that most of the people had thought of a different but similarly named street, so we walked back the way we’d come for a half hour, asked an old couple who pointed us to a spot a few streets away, and then Ashlee hailed a couple of old men dressed in their Sunday best, thinking they surely must have been members of our church. Like so many Spaniards we’ve met, they were indeed willing to help, even going so far as to direct us around a sketchy neighborhood. And this time, they knew what church we were talking about, rather than just a street name they thought they recognized! Unfortunately, at this point, we’d already missed the first ward by a long shot and the second ward’s sacrament would be over by the time we walked as lejitos as the two old men described the church to be. They had other plans in mind anyway.

It turns out that the two of them were Jehovah’s Witnesses, and they decided to try telling us about their church, but it took us a little bit to make the connection regarding what church they belonged to. The one old man who was doing most of the talking already then took it upon himself to try explaining to us why they were the right ones, believing in only the Bible as the word of God, none of this extra Book of Mormon business. Of course, he was not so bluntly descending towards us, but it became quickly evident that neither party was going to convert the other. The man had had discussions with missionaries and had read a small part of the Book of Mormon, so I should’ve expected him to be ready for my rebuttal about the commandment at the end of Revelations to not add to the Bible by using the scripture mastery in Ezekiel 37: 15-17. I used to think that that scripture really was the answer to the issue and that it would defeat any other arguments. So naïve! Once we found the scripture and read it, he immediately proceeded to tell us about Jewish history and the need for the tribes of Israel to unite, explaining that scripture I’d just read about the sticks of Judah and Ephraim was a prophecy, a warning to the House of Israel. I believe that that very well could’ve been one interpretation for the scripture, but what stuck out to me most in my mind was the fact that Satan is very subtle in his means of twisting the truth. Had I not had a strong testimony in the truthfulness of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I’d’ve been swayed to believe them because he sure seemed to know his history and he was very confident. But I know that regardless of what he says, the Book of Mormon is an inspired record testifying of Christ and his gospel, and anyone truly willing to listen and perhaps become converted would be open to our interpretation of the sticks of Judah and Ephraim when we say they represent the uniting of the Bible and the Book of Mormon because Moses and others wrote the Bible and Nephi and other descendants of Ephraim wrote The Book of Mormon. This old man debating with us was kind in giving us directions to our church, but he was set in his ways, trying to convince us we were wrong in our beliefs.

I honestly don’t know how to rebut his explanation of Ezek. 37:15-17, but I realize that I shouldn’t have to. The ones who are ready to hear the happy message of the gospel will at least give the Book of Mormon a chance. If they then decide that it’s not for them, then none of this Church is. But, on the other hand, if they feel that it is a holy book, then the rest of what we have to share will only further serve to enlighten them. I would much rather explain my beliefs, odd or different as they may seem at first, to people like my Canadian friend, Erin, or my best friend from home, Lisa, than to attempt a debate with someone who is ready to argue every point I make. As much as I’d love for them to convert and be members of the Church with me, I do greatly appreciate their respect and desire and willingness to listen and learn about what is important to me. There’s a difference in attitude, and it is palpable. And everyone has their moral agency, so, by all means, each person can decide individually what to do. But listening first can make all the difference in what decision is made or how an opinion is formed. A big thank you to all who do respect me and my beliefs, whether they are shared or not! :D

Church having been missed, Ashlee and I checked out the outside of the Macarena Arch and the Macarena Basílica Menor (not interesting enough to merit pictures), as well as the murallas that remain in the city (seen below).


On our long walk back on the hot Sevillan day, we also passed through a part of the Alcázar gardens. Back at the hostel, we watched the new version of the Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration video on YouTube. (While watching, I realized that the four years Joseph Smith had to wait before obtaining the plates that the Book of Mormon was translated from were to teach and prepare him, yes, but also to help him appreciate the plates more so he would be better able and determined to protect the plates when the trials came later.)

Before going to bed, I went and checked out the terraza on the top of our hostel.  Just two blocks in the distance I could see the cathedral we just visited!  I came out just as the sun was setting, so I grabbed my camera and took some pictures. 

 

 I sat until it was darker to take more, night pictures. (Ashlee even took a pic.  Maybe this one.)
In the meantime, I had a nice moment by myself on that rooftop, gazing up into the heavens.  I thought on all that I've been able to do in the past few years and where my life has brought me and might take me.  I have so many to thank for influencing my decisions and shaping my life--my parents and best friend from home for encouraging me to learn and continue studying Spanish, my sister for encouraging me to get an MA, her friend for encouraging me to study Spanish as an MA, professors for giving me advice, my students who made my job enjoyable and helped me earn money to spend here in Europe on this trip of a lifetime, and my God for watching over me.  Even though I was in a large, busy city, I was on a rooftop enjoying some solitudinous gratitude.  I really don't deserve all I've been blessed with.

All in all, an day that turned out completely different than what I expected, but a day for pondering and learning.

1 comment:

  1. Four. Four weeks in a row. Next week we are making it to church, or so help me...! At least we'll have Ben and his "male sense of direction."

    ReplyDelete