Professional pink

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 47, In SPAIN!

I am currently in the Barcelona BCN airport and wow, I didn’t realize I’d have such a hard time adjusting to SPANISH of all things!  At the airport for my flight, the workers were already using Spanish and on the plane everything was in Spanish first, English second (stinks for the Frenchies—take that for being snooty about people needing to speak your language on your turf.  What about now that you’re on theirs?)  Somehow, I actually ended up sleeping for most of my flight, so I woke up as we landed IN BARCELONA, SPAIN!!!  As soon as I entered the airport, I knew I was in Catalunyan territory: The principal signs to direct the public are first in Catalan, second in English, and third in Spanish.  I wonder what that says about their view of Spanish? 


Thankfully, the workers speak at least Spanish and English.  Ah, but can I?  Seriously, it was/is harder to adjust than I expected.  I keep thinking of how to ask my questions for information in French and even thought of how I’d say stuff in French rather than Spanish.  Hmm, I’m glad I’ll have this language purification time in Spain.  ;)

So, interesting thing: I know that the wireless internet in airports can cost, but what’s the deal with advertising WiFi (which means “Wireless Free Internet”) when you have to pay for it.  I’ve decided that either they label it so because they might offer 15 minutes free, or these French and Spanish airports don’t know the origin of the term!  I can only imagine what the information desk lady thought when I asked about the internet here and responded a bit incredulously in Spanish, “You have to pay for it?!?”

Well, now I wait for Ashlee’s flight to arrive.  It appears that both her flight and mine were delayed, but at least we’ll be in the same airport…I hope I’m in the right terminal to find her! Our grand plan for the night?  Sleep like bums in the airport.  At least the bathroom smells delightful!

No comments:

Post a Comment