Professional pink

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 41, Versailles? Check.

Guess where I went for the third time today!  Of course you keep a tally on every monument I go to, so you wouldn't even need to read this post's title to know, right?  ;)  Because I didn't go in the chateau the other times, I was bound and determined to go inside and put it on that mysterious Paris Last Minute to-do list I mentioned yesterday.  Even better, today, being a summer Saturday, was a Grands Eaux Musicales day, meaning that even though I had to pay this time to enter the typically free gardens, I was paying for music and water fountain shows!  To top that, because I went with Kristal, who has a handicap pass, and her daughter, I got into the chateau free, saw the special thrones exhibit free as part of the chateau visit, and benefited from a reduced fare for the fountain show! 

I expected to only go out for a few hours, but the day went in no time flat!  I was so tired and done from the heat and walking by the end that I turned into the easily irritable me that my mom and sisters are far too familiar with based on their familiarity with me and my lack of tolerance typically associated with shopping for one hour too many.  ;)  Don't worry, though; I didn't bite anyone's head off!  Although, I was about to explode earlier in the day when there were far too many tourists lollygagging in the throne exhibit rooms listening to their audio guides, blocking the entry and exit ways, creating stuffy rooms with little or no airflow, bumping into me and squishing into bottlenecks.  Granted, I would've learned more and probably would've been one of "those" tourists had I paid for an audio guide or were part of a group with an instructor, but there were signs to say to keep moving and a worker even asked one of the groups to make a line along the wall to let people through, but I still found myself wanting to get out asap to get some air! 

Yeah, I think it has taken this trip to Paris to teach me something about myself: I am not fond of huge masses of people, especially uncooperative melees.  I love big families, yes, but give me one in the countryside or the suburbs.  I don't even need a big house or a chateau, really!  I like space and some semblance of order and cooperation and peace.  Chaos is to be expected every once in a while, yes, especially from children, but give me some air conditioning and breathing room!

My little rant aside, the day was splendid!  I saw the famed hall of mirrors; appreciated the balanced feel  of art and blank space typical of the rooms in the chateau (as opposed to the rooms in the chateau of Fontainebleau that were completely covered in decor); enjoyed the regal classical music and equally regal fountain displays; and reveled in simple moments, such as sitting on the edge of the Apollo fountain as the music played and the swans and ducklings swam by.

Emily in front of the purportedly famous chapel
I spy a triangle with an alpha and omega symbol for Christ on it.
 

 Does this fit the tourist stereotype well enough?
I spy a throne.

Even French Americans can join in on being tourists!
I spy an Asian.
...Psych!  They are there, just not visible in the pic.

 A bedroom.  Quite spacey and more empty than I'd expect.
I spy a hidden door.

A baroque vision of the world
I spy WA and AK.

I liked the framing of the statues.
Which item in the picture does NOT belong?
 
Flowers+Arched trellises+Sunshine+Water fountain (off to left)= BEAUTY
I spy an unintentionally pesky tourist.


The big show at Neptune's Fountain
I spy--gah, I'm blind!


Tired as I am, I look at my photos and am quite content.  I didn't see everything there, but I saw plenty and even am somewhat familiar with a less touristy part of the chateau grounds.  The company was fabulous, too!  It wouldn't've been the same without Kristal and Emily.  That reminds me of something that happened this afternoon as I was waiting with Emily as she napped and her mom went to buy a drink--a guy drove by on a rented cart with two other women (all Italians by my guess) and he saw me and smiled, which is a flirtatious thing here!

Last comments: This time next week, I will be in SPAIN!!!!!  Also, it's raining tonight!  I heard thunder earlier today and felt some raindrops on and off, but I realized that it'd actually rained more because--guess--I recognized the sound of cars driving on wet pavement.  Yes, it does have a distinct sound.  Just as distinct, I noticed today, as the difference between water rushing out of one fountain pipe versus water tumbling over rocks in a river or a cascade.  Man, I love water!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Love water? "You are my girl!" says Mama. She also says she love your stories. I think the "I Spy"stuff is fun.

    ReplyDelete