Professional pink

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 46, 1 Day 'Til Spain!!!

I finally received my certificate for having attended my language program!  Shoot, I could skip tomorrow if I wanted, but I won't.  I should go just because and I want to go to see Erin again.

After morning class and lunch, my afternoon workshop was to go to an exhibit to celebrate the 1000th Space Invader "invasion."  The artist, knowing his work is illegal, has a pseudonym: Invader.  It's actually kinda cool what he does.  Basically, he takes little tiles and glass from disco balls and makes them into Space Invader-like forms and plasters them up high but in sight, and he's done it all over Paris and tens of other large cities.  Also part of the exhibit were imitations of famous works, using Rubik's Cubes as the medium.  At first, I thought they were just little Rubik's pieces glued together, but then I realized why the works were so thick--they were made out of Rubik's Cubes that Invader jumbled up and then arranged together to make something in a cubist/pointalist fashion.  Having a camera phone or a camera helped big time in deciphering the individual works.  According to the exhibit workers, those babies can go from 14,000-15,000 euros!  The only one sold at this exhibit is the one he did of Bin Laden...



After the workshop, I decided to walk to the LDS church building, where I could warm my dinner and rest before institute.  Apparently, I hadn't quite finished my Heavenly Father-made  church to-do list; I'd forgotten to include institute.  No worries, though, because Agenor was there to remedy the situation once again, asking me to participate in the opening exercises of the last institute day of the semester.  I opted to direct the music, and in class I participated.  And I've talked in Friday activities, too, so I think I can now for reals say that I have participated in/contributed to each type of church activity I've been in, in French, at least once!

Institute over, we enjoyed some delicious rolls and bread pudding made by the elderly Soeur Jones who has been wonderful in making snacks and dinners for us.  She's on a couple's mission with her husband, serving in the institute building.  :)  Well, while snacking, a new friend, Katya, asked me if I'm sad to be leaving.  I think she was surprised and a bit taken aback when I answered quite quickly and unhesitatingly, "No."  Shoot, why should I be?  I have friends here, yes, but I have had quality time with the closer ones, I've improved my French, and I've done everything on my to-do lists and am quite satisfied with the experience, ready to move on to my real love.  Shoot, if I've enjoyed Paris this much despite not really having a desire to be here, oooh, how much more will I enjoy Spain?!

I still need to finish packing, but guess what sweet thing my host mom did for me!  She bought me some biscuits sables de Normandie and a big bag of Carambar candies for my trip!  That was completely unexpected, but I was grateful to have a Lindt chocolate bar on hand that I'd just bought as a thank you for her.  To add to a lovely night, I talked to my sister, Cassi!  I love her so much!

Indeed, my sejour here has been different and new and full of adventures, but as my friend, Ashlee, has put it (in reference to her own travels), it's time for this chapter to close and a new one to begin.  Mind you, the first chapter won't be forgotten, merely added to.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment