Professional pink

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day 42, Third Time's a Charm

What's a big national monument that I've already seen twice but hadn't been really inside that isn't Versailles?  Yep, the Louvre!  Today being the first Sunday of the month, all the museums were free, making it a perfect way to check another item off my list for free while also passing Fast Sunday.  Even better, I walked with some people from church (making me feel less heathen about potentially breaking the Sabbath) and Erin met up with me while we were in line!  Come to think of it, it was a third planned rendezvous with Erin outside of class and even though others from our school could've come, they were too hung over from last night.  I am so happy that, despite the problems we had last Thursday, everything worked out today and that it she came! 

The line for the Louvre was HUGE to say the least, but it did move relatively quickly for its size and Erin was there to save the day with her sunscreen.  Today was supposed to be overcast, but the sun was sure out while we waited in the line winding around the Pyramid entrance, past the fountains, along the palace walls, through an archway, and into an inner courtyard.  It was pleasant, though, especially 'cause we weren't in any terrible rush and we had each other to talk with.  I don't know what I would've done if I'd been by myself! 

I suppose we waited in line for about an hour, finally making it inside for my third time BUT after buying tickets for a special Rembrandt exhibit on Christ (not included in the freeness), we were officially inside--not just in the information area, but inside inside!  Another special landscape-focused exhibit was included in the fare we paid, so we saw that next, but none of us were super into it.  We ended up splitting up so it was just me and Erin traipsing about the Louvre.  A hunt for an available bathroom led us onto the 1er etage, so I requested that we see the Renaissance and Medieval collections which were nearby on the same floor.  Erin indulged me and when we finished there, we tried to hurry to see the "Winged Victory" and the Mona Lisa.  I say "tried" because I ended up leading us in a complete circle and "hurry" because we thought we'd have until 10pm if necessary to see the museum, only to find out that we only had until 5:45, leaving us a mere half hour!  Thankfully, we had success thanks to Erin's utterly remarkable map reading skills and keen sense of observation of signs and correlating room numbers.  ;)

Of it all, I think my favorite part of the entire visit was the Rembrandt exhibit.  Yeah, I had to pay for it, but I was the most observant in it, largely thanks to Erin.  Taking my religious background for granted, I went with the flow and bought a ticket because the others wanted to see it and because I knew it'd be a good experience.  Soon after we entered, though, I remembered that Erin had told me she didn't know much about Christianity.  In her own words, she "only [knew] the big events" in Christ's life, so much of the meaning of the paintings would've been lost.  So, I ended up explaining some of the stories of Christ's life, death, and resurrection to her as based on Rembrandt's paintings and sketches.  She said she quite enjoyed it, and I loved it!  She helped me better appreciate the art in relation to what I already know and believe about Christ, and she helped point out aspects of paintings I probably wouldn't've considered otherwise.  Also, because Christ's last days, death, and resurrection were such prevalent themes, I was able to mention that many Christian religions focus on his death whereas the LDS church focuses on the fact that he lives again and that we, too, can be resurrected to be with God and our families, and she said she likes that idea.  :D  I do, too.

Well, so we had to leave early, but it was okay; we were hungry and tired anyway.  Respecting my desire to keep the Sabbath and not make people work, Erin suggested a "loophole": buy a snack from a vending machine on our way back to her apartment to tide us over until dinner was ready!  Brilliant!  And delicious.  At her place, we made noodles, sauteed mushrooms, and mixed up a pseudo pesto sauce--delicious and filling!  And then, in keeping with tradition after eating on a Sunday, it was leisure time aka plop on the bed and have girl time!  Just a bit before I left, we Skyped her parents and she introduced me to them, telling them that I am one of her best friends here!  I thought she'd be closer or as close at least with the people she's spent time with in the evenings this week, so that surprised me!  It means a lot to me that she appreciates our friendship and that she trusts me, weird as I probably am in her sight with the rules and standards I live by!  Having just talked to her parents, I thought it'd be fun for me to meet mine, so she got to briefly meet my mom on Gmail voice.  (We would've been more likely to have Skyped, except that Mom had just found out about 6 families in town that had lost houses and much else to a fire.  I hope my old pillowcases and stuffed animals help.)

Finally, it was time for me to head chez moi, and I left just in time!  As Erin walked me to the metro stop, I could see lightning off in the distance.  By the time I made the necessary transfer and arrived at my stop, I could smell a difference in the air.  Assessments of others' clothing confirmed my suspicion: It was raining, and hard!  Thankfully, I'd followed a feeling yesterday to put an umbrella in my purse yesterday and I decided this morning to keep it with me today.  Muttering, "Ah, la la!" and popping out my little black umbrella baby, I scampered up the metro steps and scurried to my apartment.  It only took a few minutes, but it was long enough to see many flashes of lightning, hear the crashing thunder, soak my shoes, and get myself quite wet.  It's still storming outside, but France is in dire need for rain.  As long as it doesn't rain when I'm out and about, we're a-okay.  ;)  The worst is that it was humid this morning even after last night's rain dried, and I think the clouds might trap smog, making it difficult to breathe.  I hope such is not the case tomorrow.

Other things of note: I bore my testimony in French today!  I was scared, but multiple people thanked me and my two Venezuelan friends, in response to a comment I'd made in my testimony about having a purpose to come here, told me that my purpose in coming was to meet them!   Sadly, I probably won't see them again, and Kristal told me that she probably won't see me again, either, before I leave.  :(  On one hand, I am beyond stoked to go to Spain and live my dream, but on the other hand I am suddenly beginning to feel the loss my my newly acquired and developing friendships.  Sure, I've said goodbyes to close friends before, but often in the past few years they were to people I'd see again after a summer break or a mission.  It's strange to consider the fact that it is altogether possible that I might not see these people again.  Really, how often will I be coming to Paris?  Erin invited me to spend time with her at her cottage on an island two hours north of Toronto...That sounds so nice and peaceful and enjoyable...

What do you get when you cross two Latinos and an Estadounidense in Paris?
A confused brain (but contented heart)

Alex and Amelia, the BYU study abroad couple that braved the entire line with us!

Me and Erin!

Mona Lisa...smile

 Winged Victory, from ~190 BC

No comments:

Post a Comment