Professional pink

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Les bonnes nouvelles sont réelles

Twice now I've woken up, incredulous that my life is real.  Seriously, I woke up, slightly disoriented and as I gathered my thoughts, quickly summing up who and where I am, I was inclined to think it's too good to be true, that this whole Europe business is a dream.  But then I remember that today I set a departure date and figured out a price estimate for flying into Paris and returning to the States from London, with traveling between France, Spain, Portugal, and England included.

Seriously, for me this is a modern-day miracle, considering all that has come together to bring me to where I am today and what is coming together to bring me to where I will soon be.  :)  And it gets better: I could easily end up by myself on a foreign, faraway continent, but it sounds like a good few of my friends, some family, and I just may be able to meet up and spend time together there!

I told a few of my professors today of my bonnes nouvelles, and their reactions were priceless!  My thesis advisor shook my hand, a committee member gave me a side hug and words of advice and congratulations, the graduate coordinator congratulated me, and my literature prof (who was the one who first put me in contact with the FLAS beca) pounded it with me.  Actually, unbeknownst to me, the graduate coordinator had been waiting to speak with my lit prof when I walked up and "cut in line."  I apologized to the grad coordinator, "Sorry, I didn't realize there was a line!  I just want to share my good news really quick!"

Soon, my lit prof piped up, "Let me guess: You got the scholarship.  You are going to Port-- no, France.  And you'll study in Paris."

"Toulouse, but yes.  How did you know??"

"You have been just so excited and I saw that special glint in your eyes."

When I thanked him for his help in my obtaining the scholarship, he modestly deferred the honor to me, saying that he just gave me information and then my own work and merit earned it for me.  He also highly recommended celebrating.  ;)

I am so grateful for friends who share my excitement, for professors who are wise, and for a Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers and never gives up on us--even when we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment