Professional pink

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Bit of Heaven on Earth

This Friday, my young single adult (YSA) student ward (church congregation) is putting on a Valentines' Day dance--kind of cheesy, I know, but it's great because everyone who decides to go has a date.  That is, those who don't already have a fiancé(e) or a boyfriend/girlfriend pick their top five people in the ward and are paired up by a machine.  Sounds funny and potentially weird, but I think it'll be fun and the guys are the ones in charge of asking us out once they know who their date is, so it makes us feel good to get asked!  That's beside the point anyway. 

You see, not all the girls have dresses to wear for this formal night, so our leaders put together a dress swap just for the dance.  I went, not expecting to find anything that would fit, but I actually found the perfect dress (and I am ridiculously excited about how well my date and I are going to match with silver and teal!).  Three of my roommates went, too, and it was all just so great to see these wonderful women I know offer to help zip each other up, offer clothes and hair accessories or offer whatever other services and compliments just to help another feel pretty.  One of the ladies heading up the swap sent an email this morning, expressing her gratitude: "So many of you have brought your roomies or neighbors down to the dress swap.  You have lent out ribbon, sewing skills, sleeves, cardigans, offered hair accesories and up-do services.  I have been so delighted to watch you make your friends queens and princesses!  I don't know how to explain that twinkle if everyone's eyes but I am pretty sure it is charity, as a result of each of your efforts to live the gospel of Jesus Christ and then receiving that pure love of Christ."  Like her, in that moment of seeing the excitement in the other girls' faces and seeing their service, I felt like we have our own little Zion here, our own little "heaven on earth".

No comments:

Post a Comment