Professional pink

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Dear John--er, Provo

Dear Provo,

I don't know if you saw this coming or if I'm about to completely blindside you, but it’s over. I'm done here and it’s time for me to move on. I'm not moving too far away; just enough to have some distance. It’s true that we've been seeing each other constantly for almost 6 years, but you never could really commit. I see that now. You called me your way and I obeyed. It was love at first sight when I first met you in Junior high, but then when my parents left me on your doorstep as a newly graduated college freshman, I was scared. It wasn't all warm fuzzies then, but next I knew you provided me with a network of friends and mentors. You truly became my world, bedazzling me with your vast array of interests, from sports to music to cooking to linguistics to the sciences. You helped me learn and grow by encouraging me to value lifelong learning, faith in God, and the simple pleasures in life, from education to nature. You're what so many young people dream of: intelligence, spirituality, and attractiveness all in one package. Plus, with all your talk of mission, marriage, and family, I knew you had your priorities well placed. And yet I should have known that, despite all your talk, I was always just a friend to you. I've been holding out hope, but God has helped me to move on and see you as you see me: as a close, dear friend. In fact, I guess I'm the sister you never had.



Buddy, the feeling's mutual.

You always said, “Come forth to learn; go forth to serve.” I've learned what I've needed to with you, to be sure. You have helped me grow in countless ways from a young, dependent teenager to an older independent woman. I'll never forget you. Don’t think this is easy for me; every time I see you, I wish it could stay like this forever because you are so wonderful and six years  of memories is hard to walk away from! But this move is for the best. I will look back on our time together in fondness and treasure it for decades to come.  Thank you for having faith in me and for helping me see what I'm capable of. I've “come forth to learn” and now it’s time for me to leave and “go forth to serve”. You'll always have a special place in my heart.

See you around,
Ariel


PS Thanks for introducing me to Salt Lake; he’s so established and spiritual, but fun, too! The three of us should hang out sometime. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment