Professional pink

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Trusting the Master Gardener


See that plant there? It's mine. :)
See that leaf shooting out of the top? It's a symbol of life and growth in times of drought.

Drought? Yes. I hadn't watered the plant the entire time I was gone for Christmas break, for 2.5 weeks.

Honestly, I was shocked that, rather than wither away and die, it grew--in fact, it flourished! (See photo for proof.)

One of my first thoughts was, "I have to blog about this; it has so much relevance to life!" Another thought was that my plant was overdue for more water, so I gave it plenty; it had waited long enough. And guess what happened to it in the next few days? To my dismay, it became sick. The usually healthy leaves turned brown towards the ends and one entire leaf withered up!

I knew yet again that I needed to blog about my little plant. In a very real way, in doing so I'm blogging about myself and each one of us.

God is the Master Gardener: He knows each of his plants (us), He's planted each one in a specific place, and He knows how much sunlight (inspiration) and water (spiritual, physical, emotional, and mental nourishment) each of His plants needs in order to not only survive, but thrive. He is ever aware of His garden's well-being. This means that if a plant needs more water, He'll give it more. more sunlight? Done. The opposite is true, too; the plants that do better in dry or indirectly lit areas will receive less water or sunlight. If too much water is given to a desert plant like mine, for example, it can actually hurt the plant more than help it.

What I'm saying doesn't mean that He favors one plant over another. Instead, it means that He takes perfect care of each one in a specific, purposeful, and careful way. 


The day I came back to work and saw my plant after Christmas break was just after I'd moved. I felt lonely, frustrated, stressed, and worried about being forgotten. I knew God loved me and that I still had my family and at least some friends. I knew Heavenly Father was aware of my needs and that I'd moved for a reason. But I wondered if God would keep His promises in the way I interpreted them. I mean, He is perfect, but I'm not and I very well may have been misinterpreting what He was telling me through prayers, scriptures, feelings, the Spirit, and others' words. In a small but profound way, seeing that my plant was thriving on the water I'd given it a couple weeks beforehand was a message from the Gardener to me: This is a time of growth for you. You'll flourish. I'm paying attention. And you know what? A cup with water was right next to the plant the whole time, ready for the next watering.

So, the next time you feel stuck and feel like God isn't hearing your pleas for more, think of my plant. More importantly, think of the Gardener's message to YOU: This is a time of growth for you. You'll flourish. I'm paying attention.


Joshua 1:9 "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."

No comments:

Post a Comment